As you all know by now, I am a huge fan of wallpaper. If I could, I would have some in every room of this house. Right now, we have wallpaper in Dax’s nursery, Eli’s room, and the laundry room. I eventually want to have some in our half-bath when we redo that, and potentially the kids’ playroom- but we would wait until we used it as a office. I really wanted to put some in Dax’s big boy room, but even though we are moving him out of his black and white nursery, we are sticking with that color scheme in the new room too. Well, it will be more of a white room with accents of black. That being said, I thought it would be too much to have two black and white rooms- actually three if you count the boys’ newly renovated bathroom. So, we decided to not use wallpaper this time around, and to do a cool accent wall of moldings instead.
Fortunately, moldings are much cheaper than wallpaper, and a lot easier to install. So far they are looking really good, and I can start to see the room coming together. I am in my third trimester now, so we are on a strict time crunch to get this room ready. I want Dax moved in and settled long before the baby arrives. I don’t want him feeling like we are kicking him out of is nursery to make room for the baby, even though that is totally what is happening, let’s be real!
Once the moldings are sanded and perfect, we can paint!
David actually completed the flooring in Dax’s room before our babymoon, but things have been so crazy since we got back, that I haven’t had a chance to share the progress. We used the same flooring we have throughout the entire house, so it was pretty easy and familiar for David to install. This room is really small, but the flooring makes it look a bit larger which is nice. Most importantly, the toddler of the house approves. He checks on his new room every time he walks upstairs! Next up, moldings.
You would think that after almost 8 years of marriage and almost 14 years together, David would know that I’m always right. One day he will get it (hopefully).
He took out the tiles that had the bad spacing, replaced them with new tiles, and spaced them much better this time around.
Once they were dry, he grouted. It looks so much better, and it was such an easy fix, but such a waste of time to even have to fix something that should have been done right in the first place. Oh well!
In these pictures, you can see the dark spots in the grout. They aren’t dark now that they are dry, but it gives you a good idea where the tiles needed to be replaced.
It’s such a relief to have this done- after all, its only been 5 months since I mentioned it needed to be fixed.
It seems like ages ago that I gave a laundry room update. I think the last time david worked on the laundry room might have been in December. Yikes! Sounds about right though. Anyway, back in December I shared the spacing issues that we were having with the floor.
I warned David that I thought it looked off, but he insisted that it would be fine once the grout was in. Well, he was wrong, and it took one of his coworkers to notice the spacing in the picture to get David to agree with me.
We need our final bedroom upstairs cleared out so that we can start Dax’s big boy room. That means the laundry room has to be completed since the majority of the crap in the bedroom belongs in the laundry room.
David took apart the tiles that had funky spacing last weekend promising that he would be able to fix it. Fingers crossed!
Happy Monday! The boys are back in school, and we are back to our routines. It’s crazy to think that they are done with school in a month. This year went by so fast, it’s scary.
Anyway, our old retaining wall was really long, but it was falling apart and totally unsafe for the kids to play on or even near. Originally, David and I thought we would do a wall the same size as our old one, but I think there was a miscommunication with the contractor because he planned on a 15ft wall. In his original plan he included a BBQ as well, so maybe the wall was 15ft but that didn’t include the BBQ. We decided against the BBQ because it was way over our budget, and so much more needs to be done with this house. If we feel like we want one in the future, we have the space to easily add one in.
We wanted a smooth look for the wall with stones that went well with the patio and I think it is looking great. It needs a topper for a little bench look, but it’s so close to being done!One of the guys working on the patio suggested that we did some kind of border for our window wells. It makes them look a little less ugly, and it also makes them stand out more so that hopefully the kids don’t run over them. I am glad that this was suggested because I never would have thought to do this and it really looks good. Not much left to do and so excited to enjoy it this spring and summer!
Finally I am pleased with a company David chose to work with. These guys work quick! They got so much done their second day and we couldn’t be happier with how it is looking.
I love the stone we picked, even if it doesn’t look the best with our home’s current exterior paint color.
I also love the pattern we went with when it came to lying the stones out. It feels modern yet still traditional in a way.Our old patio was huge, and we thought there was no need for a patio that large, so we shrunk it just a little. The pile of dirt by the tree is where the old patio went to. We thought we would just plant more grass there once the patio was finished.Next up, building the retaining wall! Have a great weekend!