Counters

Oh man, the counters. This is where all of our drama began with our contractor.

Our contractor recommended a specific company to order our counters from. They come highly recommended where we live, so we just went with his suggestion and ordered the counters from them.

It was a fairly easy process, they came over with samples, we picked one and ordered it. They came to measure a week later and told me it would be 1.5 weeks at most until the counters were ready. A few days after they came over to measure I got a phone call that he needed me to remeasure. Now, I know how to use a measuring tape, but I thought that it was a lot of pressure for me to measure for something pretty expensive. If I got the numbers wrong, it would have been a huge problem. I got the measurements, and they just didn’t seem right to the guys cutting the counters, so they came over to measure again. Sure enough, my numbers were correct and they told me yet again that it would be about a week and a half to be ready.

Let’s fast forward a week, we have the polar vortex. It was way too cold for the counters to be delivered, so we were delayed. And delayed. And delayed. By the time we hit two weeks David finally put some pressure on the company. They were a little weird with communication but after pushing and pushing, we finally got the counters three weeks later.

We understand things happen and delays happen, but three weeks was a bit frustrating. Not to mention, our contractor was pressuring us because he wanted to keep up with our project but couldn’t until the counters arrived. Not sure why he was pressuring us, since we had zero control over the counter company.

Anyway, they were installed in an hour and they look beautiful. David wasn’t the biggest fan, but I think they are perfect with our floors and backsplash.

Basement Floors

Excuse the long delay. We went through a major polar vortex here that put all kinds of delays on house projects. Most specifically the boys’ bathroom but I’ll save that drama for another post. It’s juicy!

The laminate in the basement is not only ugly, but it was sliding around and coming off the ground.  It just had to go. With the newly done bar and built ins, it didn’t really go with our style anyway.  We went with a tile that looks like wood.  We thought that it was most functional for a basement, and would hold our workout equipment well since we wanted to do tile in that area as well.

David did a great job ripping out the old laminate and I think that the kids loved watching it.  The new tile is looking really good.  I am not totally in love with our choice, I think the floor clashes a little bit with the carpet, but the blue paint is a little deceiving and I think that is what is throwing me off.  Once we use a fresh color, it will all come together (hopefully!).