I was so excited to be able to move our laundry room upstairs in this house. We have so much space in there, it’s crazy. You would really think that the opportunities are endless in a laundry room that size, but the truth is, I am completely lost on what the heck to do in there, and how to organize everything.
David installed a mini closet system, and for now we have towels, sheets, and delicates in there, but I still don’t know how I feel about that and what laundry I want to keep in there. I just feel like there could be a lot more functionality in here and I am sure that the more I use the (soon to be) completed laundry room, I will figure it out as I go.
David is taking next week off, so let’s just hope we get more done during that week than we did during his week off for Thanksgiving!
Besides having our laundry room upstairs, one other deal breaker for us was a utility sink. We had to have a utility sink. Until I had kids, I never knew why having one was so appealing, but after tons of diaper blowouts, and stains that I cannot even explain, it is so important to have a place to rinse off clothes that is not in our kitchen, bathroom, or outside.
David installed the sink and the plumbing and besides the excitement of finally being able to use it, I think it looks great, especially the faucet. We went with a chrome finish, even though I really wanted gold tones. I just felt like it looked cleaner in a laundry room, and better with our washing machine and dryer. Now bring on the laundry!
When it came time to decide on countertops for the laundry room, I wanted to go with a white quartz similar to what we have in our master bathroom. It’s definitely not the cheapest, but after my last 3 homes, I said we would never have laminate countertops again. The more we thought about it, the more we realized that maybe laminate in the laundry room was the way to go. It’s really functional, and there are some pretty options that don’t look too cheap. We got a ton of samples from Home Depot and David and I instantly agreed on one that we thought would work with our bold wallpaper and busy floors.
This past weekend, David cut the laminate to fit our counters. He wasn’t able to finish the top, but he got the hardest part done- the edge. It was a two person job and after a few attempts we realized that we had to take out the washing machine and dryer for it to work. Eventually David finished and it looks great, especially for it being his first time installing laminate.
I can’t wait for the rest of the countertops to be installed because nothing seems better to me than folding laundry in my laundry room. I’m over carrying it to my pet hair infested bed. Gross!!!!
A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that we also tore out the closet in the laundry room, and that obviously included the carpet that was left in there.
After David ripped out the carpet, it was time to prep the floors so that he could tile them. He spent a lot of last week prepping, and this weekend tiling. We ran out of grout, but after a quick run to Home Depot the floors should be done this week!
Between the cabinets being installed and the floors almost being done, this laundry room is hopefully on track to be completed in a month or so.
Wishful thinking, right?
Well, it is officially Fall. Fall is my favorite season for so many reasons, but when it comes to renovating this house, it probably is my least favorite because we are always extremely busy which gives us little time for the house projects. Between all of the Jewish holidays, sports classes for the kids, sickness, and birthday parties almost every weekend, it is hard to get a minute in to do much with the house.
Last week, it was Yom Kippur and David went away for a business trip. I also got really sick during the weekend so David was on 24/7 daddy duty and couldn’t get too much done- although he thinks he got a lot done.
The air vent in our laundry room has just become this annoying problem. We want to make sure that there is enough airflow, but between the cabinet and where the vent is located, it’s been really difficult to deal with. David had to rip out the flooring and cut a big hole to make it work. After a ton of dust, noise, and a lot of work, the vent is exactly how we wanted it.