Basement Floors

Excuse the long delay. We went through a major polar vortex here that put all kinds of delays on house projects. Most specifically the boys’ bathroom but I’ll save that drama for another post. It’s juicy!

The laminate in the basement is not only ugly, but it was sliding around and coming off the ground.  It just had to go. With the newly done bar and built ins, it didn’t really go with our style anyway.  We went with a tile that looks like wood.  We thought that it was most functional for a basement, and would hold our workout equipment well since we wanted to do tile in that area as well.

David did a great job ripping out the old laminate and I think that the kids loved watching it.  The new tile is looking really good.  I am not totally in love with our choice, I think the floor clashes a little bit with the carpet, but the blue paint is a little deceiving and I think that is what is throwing me off.  Once we use a fresh color, it will all come together (hopefully!).

Hexagon Floor Grout

I love the hexagon tiles in the boys’ bathroom so much.   I knew we had to have it when I came across an inspiration picture on Pinterest.  We couldn’t decide if we wanted to do a black grout, or white, and ultimately we went with white to make the black pop a little bit more.  I know that these floors are going to show every mark, and speck of dirt, but it is so worth it, because they look so freaking good!! Even the boys love it which makes me so happy.

Every time Dax walks by he goes “wwwwwwwwooowwww!!” and Eli also always makes a point to look at the floors when he goes upstairs.  So glad that we took the risk of having a black floor in a bathroom.

Spacing Issues

I mentioned on Monday that David messed up the spacing on the tiles in our laundry room.  Since we used dark gray grout, it is really obvious.  In fact, David showed a co-worker pictures of the laundry room and he noticed the floor right away.  David said that because he took so many days to complete the floor, it made it hard to get the spacing right.  Who knows, but it has to be fixed so this laundry room doesn’t look DIY.

Once we complete the basement, we can go back to fix and finish the never ending laundry room project.

Can you spot the spacing issues?

Tiling the Floors

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that we also tore out the closet in the laundry room, and that obviously included the carpet that was left in there.

After David ripped out the carpet, it was time to prep the floors so that he could tile them. He spent a lot of last week prepping, and this weekend tiling. We ran out of grout, but after a quick run to Home Depot the floors should be done this week!

Between the cabinets being installed and the floors almost being done, this laundry room is hopefully on track to be completed in a month or so.

Wishful thinking, right?

Officially Fall

Well, it is officially Fall.  Fall is my favorite season for so many reasons, but when it comes to renovating this house, it probably is my least favorite because we are always extremely busy which gives us little time for the house projects. Between all of the Jewish holidays, sports classes for the kids, sickness, and birthday parties almost every weekend, it is hard to get a minute in to do much with the house.

Last week, it was Yom Kippur and David went away for a business trip.  I also got really sick during the weekend so David was on 24/7 daddy duty and couldn’t get too much done- although he thinks he got a lot done.

The air vent in our laundry room has just become this annoying problem.  We want to make sure that there is enough airflow, but between the cabinet and where the vent is located, it’s been really difficult to deal with.  David had to rip out the flooring and cut a big hole to make it work.  After a ton of dust, noise, and a lot of work, the vent is exactly how we wanted it.

Starting the Mudroom

A little while back, I mentioned that we had to clear out the mud room so that there was a place for our dog to stay in if we left the house. We were tired of cleaning up his pee around the house, so clearing out the mudroom was definitely a priority.

Although it was cleared out, it still isn’t completed. There was still flooring to be done, moldings to put up, oh and still the need to build a bench, cabinets, cubbies, a sink, etc just to name a few.

Last weekend, David finished the flooring and started putting up the baseboard, and trim. He also measured and designed the bench and cubbies. We are going for a simpler look but it’s going to be functional and clean looking! I can’t wait!

Happy Friday!

Pantry Floors

David says everything will take “a few hours” or “a couple of days”.  I am starting to figure out that “a few hours” means a weekend or two, and “a couple of days” means a couple of weekends…minimum.

Anyway, we got our IL drivers licenses on Friday, and David got his stitches out from his little fireplace accident, so that left him with tons of time to get stuff done.

There was a little progress on our walk-in-closet that was supposed to be done last month, and lots of progress on our pantry floors.  They are looking great!!  Now, as soon as these are completed, we can get our pantry shelving unit built which will help us clear out all of the other rooms from our food and small appliances.  I can’t wait!