I think that our contractor and his men wanted to be done with the bathroom just as bad as we wanted it to be done.
Besides not reading the reviews for this company, our biggest regret was not having the contractor do a final walkthrough because there was a lot more to be fixed than we anticipated.
Last weekend, David went to deep clean the bathroom so that we could move the boys into it. Who would have thought sharing s bathroom with two small children for 2 months would be such an ordeal?! As he was cleaning we discovered quite a few things that we would have expected to be fixed.
The grout is kind of mess but I really think if we used a lighter color it would have turned out great. I just expected more from a professional company. We noticed one broken tile and three scratched tiles in the shower. All which can’t be fixed but need to be chiseled out.When David was walking in the bathroom, you can hear and feel that some of the floor tiles are loose. Again, they need to be chiseled out.They did terrible planning when installing the vanity because the drawer on the end cannot be opened all of the way due to the window trim being in the way. Unfortunately, this is something that can’t be fixed at this point.Lastly (from what we could tell), there was ceiling paint splattered all over the counters. I’m not exaggerating here, splatters everywhere. Luckily the counters are light so it’s hard to tell, but it took a while to scrape them off and we didn’t even get all of them!I am so mad we didn’t have the contractor do a final walkthrough but I am so grateful that David could fix all of this stuff. We would be in big trouble if he couldn’t.
We learned so much during this experience and with all of the trouble and stress that came with it, at least the bathroom is done…but no the boys still aren’t moved into it yet!
Oh man, the counters. This is where all of our drama began with our contractor.
Our contractor recommended a specific company to order our counters from. They come highly recommended where we live, so we just went with his suggestion and ordered the counters from them.
It was a fairly easy process, they came over with samples, we picked one and ordered it. They came to measure a week later and told me it would be 1.5 weeks at most until the counters were ready. A few days after they came over to measure I got a phone call that he needed me to remeasure. Now, I know how to use a measuring tape, but I thought that it was a lot of pressure for me to measure for something pretty expensive. If I got the numbers wrong, it would have been a huge problem. I got the measurements, and they just didn’t seem right to the guys cutting the counters, so they came over to measure again. Sure enough, my numbers were correct and they told me yet again that it would be about a week and a half to be ready.
Let’s fast forward a week, we have the polar vortex. It was way too cold for the counters to be delivered, so we were delayed. And delayed. And delayed. By the time we hit two weeks David finally put some pressure on the company. They were a little weird with communication but after pushing and pushing, we finally got the counters three weeks later.
We understand things happen and delays happen, but three weeks was a bit frustrating. Not to mention, our contractor was pressuring us because he wanted to keep up with our project but couldn’t until the counters arrived. Not sure why he was pressuring us, since we had zero control over the counter company.
Anyway, they were installed in an hour and they look beautiful. David wasn’t the biggest fan, but I think they are perfect with our floors and backsplash.
Happy Monday! As you will see below, this weekend was very eventful. David completed the counters in our laundry room.
Last week he did the trim, and this week he finished the top by applying contact cement. It looked (and sounds) a lot easier than it was. Once the top was on, David took a roller to set it and even it out, and then he cut out where the sink will go, and an access point to our outlets.
I’m not going to lie, I had no idea what the process was like to install laminate. It was the first time that David has ever done this, and I have to say it was a learning experience but he did such a good job. I mean, ask me if the counters have held up in a month or two though…kidding.
When it came time to decide on countertops for the laundry room, I wanted to go with a white quartz similar to what we have in our master bathroom. It’s definitely not the cheapest, but after my last 3 homes, I said we would never have laminate countertops again. The more we thought about it, the more we realized that maybe laminate in the laundry room was the way to go. It’s really functional, and there are some pretty options that don’t look too cheap. We got a ton of samples from Home Depot and David and I instantly agreed on one that we thought would work with our bold wallpaper and busy floors.
This past weekend, David cut the laminate to fit our counters. He wasn’t able to finish the top, but he got the hardest part done- the edge. It was a two person job and after a few attempts we realized that we had to take out the washing machine and dryer for it to work. Eventually David finished and it looks great, especially for it being his first time installing laminate.
I can’t wait for the rest of the countertops to be installed because nothing seems better to me than folding laundry in my laundry room. I’m over carrying it to my pet hair infested bed. Gross!!!!
I mentioned before that we had to move into the kitchen, well it is not complete quite yet, and we definitely are not organized yet either, but until then…here is a little sneak peak from my phone! Just incase you forgot what this room used to look like, here you go!