Our contractor and his employees came over Friday morning to start the demo for Eli and Dax’s bathroom. I forgot how unbelievably loud and dusty this part of a project is. The bathroom is above our kitchen, and I was really nervous that our giant mirror would come off of the wall. We did lose one light bulb from our light fixture.
By the time I picked up E from school, came home, made lunch, and ate lunch, they were done. This was just in time for naps so that worked out in our favor for sure.
They didn’t run into any problems, so hopefully the rest of the remodel goes just as smoothly!
David worked on the mudroom a little bit last night after the boys went to sleep. He put up the crown molding, and some of the trim. He decided that he wants to raise the horizontal piece a little bit, but other than that it’s looking more and more complete.
I feel like we have a million projects happening right now and I can’t keep them straight, but hopefully we will be able to be 100% with one room soon , maybe?! It will probably be the boys’ bathroom because we hired it out. Sorry David!
I am not sure if I mentioned this or not (my brain is a little off right now from the long winter break), but David finally agreed to hire out the mudroom. We have so much going on, and you all know about my little basement breakdown, so we thought that it would be worth it for somebody else to do our mudroom. Even if it meant spending thousands instead of hundreds, totally worth it.
We got quotes from carpenters and were pretty set on hiring one that we both agreed we liked. One day while the kids were napping and my sister and I were watching Bravo in the basement, David asked me if he could start the mudroom. I was super annoyed because I knew that this would happen. He totally wasn’t planning on hiring anybody! Since the boys were napping I stupidly agreed.
He built the start of the mudroom in the garage and had to hire somebody to help him carry it inside. That thing is heavy, and there were noises coming out of David that I have never heard before. When he had me come look at it, I was a little surprised to see that he had not built a bench. Well, he did, but it was really short and kind of hard to sit on. One thing we agreed on and pointed out in photos, was that we wanted a big bench. At least bigger than the one he made. It was apparently an easy fix and David whipped a new one right up. He definitely got a lot of it done and it looks great, but it’s still not done. Go figure. We will see how much longer it takes to finish, but my vote is 2 months. Any takers?
Take a look though, because I will admit it looks fab!
Happy New Year!
So far, we are starting 2019 off productive. I mentioned on Monday that the basement built-ins are 95% complete. We didn’t want to spend too much money down here, so we decided to do an IKEA hack on the Billy Bookcase. They turned out great and our old TV works with it perfectly David bought a new TV for upstairs, and we moved the old TV up there into the basement. I think that once the entire basement is painted, the shelves are decorated, and the hardware is on, they will feel a lot more complete. As much as I love them, I can’t get past this ugly blue paint.
I will say that it has been so nice having a place for all of the kids’ games, movies, and books that I used to read in our spare time pre kids.
First of all, I hope that you all had a great holiday week! I can’t believe that tomorrow it will officially be 2019. This last year went by so fast, and it was stressful and busy, but definitely a good year. I know that 2019 will be even better. We have so much happening in 2019, and hopefully the entire interior of the house will be completed.
Speaking of house, there was some major basement progress happening over the Christmas break. David worked long and hard building our built ins. They are probably 95% completed, we need some hardware for the cabinets, and to decorate and fill the shelves. We rarely went to sleep before 12:30 because we were so busy taking apart the basement, going through all of the toys and junk we have yet to go through since we have moved, and then organizing it all into our new storage systems.
After all of the work we put into it, we are so happy with how it turned out. The kids weren’t able to play in the basement for a few days, so the looks on their faces when we revealed their newly organized space was priceless. Hopefully it stays this way!
Next up on the basement agenda is painting the entire room, new floors in the bar area and workout area, and redoing the bar. Go figure, a much larger project then we anticipated.
Day 1 and 2 progress: Reveal:
I was so excited to be able to move our laundry room upstairs in this house. We have so much space in there, it’s crazy. You would really think that the opportunities are endless in a laundry room that size, but the truth is, I am completely lost on what the heck to do in there, and how to organize everything.
David installed a mini closet system, and for now we have towels, sheets, and delicates in there, but I still don’t know how I feel about that and what laundry I want to keep in there. I just feel like there could be a lot more functionality in here and I am sure that the more I use the (soon to be) completed laundry room, I will figure it out as I go.
David is taking next week off, so let’s just hope we get more done during that week than we did during his week off for Thanksgiving!