Dax’s Big Boy Room: Bye Bye Carpet

I mentioned earlier this week that the carpet in Dax’s big boy room would be the first to go.  This carpet wasn’t the original, but it was dirty, stained, and smelled like pee. David took such pleasure in removing it, and I swear the room smells 10x fresher with it being gone. We decided to go with the same floors we have throughout the entire house (main floor, hallways, and bedrooms), and I think that it will make the room look a lot bigger.  Now, if only David could take the same amount of time putting in the new floors as he did ripping out the old carpet…stay tuned!

Dax’s Big Boy Room: Before

I hope that you all had a nice long weekend. We spent a lot of time working on some projects, eating way too much food, and celebrating Dax’s second birthday early.

After a lot of going back and forth, we decided to move Dax into a big boy room, and we will make his current nursery the new baby’s.  This room is the last guest room of the house, and is also the only untouched room since we have moved here two years ago.

The room is painted in Chicago Cubs colors, and the carpet is beyond nasty.  I’m glad we have an urgent excuse to redo it.  I say urgent because we want to get Dax into this room ASAP.  I want him in here and settled a while before the baby comes, because I don’t want him to feel like we are kicking him out of his room for a new baby to take it over.

The first thing to go will be the carpet, and I am sure the room will look better immediately!

Spacing Issues: Part 3

You would think that after almost 8 years of marriage and almost 14 years together, David would know that I’m always right. One day he will get it (hopefully).

He took out the tiles that had the bad spacing, replaced them with new tiles, and spaced them much better this time around.

Once they were dry, he grouted. It looks so much better, and it was such an easy fix, but such a waste of time to even have to fix something that should have been done right in the first place. Oh well!

In these pictures, you can see the dark spots in the grout. They aren’t dark now that they are dry, but it gives you a good idea where the tiles needed to be replaced.

It’s such a relief to have this done- after all, its only been 5 months since I mentioned it needed to be fixed.

Spacing Issues: Part 2

It seems like ages ago that I gave a laundry room update. I think the last time david worked on the laundry room might have been in December. Yikes! Sounds about right though. Anyway, back in December I shared the spacing issues that we were having with the floor.

I warned David that I thought it looked off, but he insisted that it would be fine once the grout was in. Well, he was wrong, and it took one of his coworkers to notice the spacing in the picture to get David to agree with me.

We need our final bedroom upstairs cleared out so that we can start Dax’s big boy room. That means the laundry room has to be completed since the majority of the crap in the bedroom belongs in the laundry room.

David took apart the tiles that had funky spacing last weekend promising that he would be able to fix it. Fingers crossed!

Mudroom Reveal

I never thought I would be writing this, but our mudroom is complete. I repeat, the mudroom is complete. I gave David a strict deadline, and he got it done. Ok, two days later than the deadline, but baby steps right? It looks beautiful and I love it, but I do think it would have been worth a few thousand dollars to have hired it out so that it would have been done months ago. Oh well.

He basically built everything from scratch and it’s so nice knowing there is a place for muddy and wet shoes and coats now.  I also feel confident that we will have a designated place for keys, especially for David’s since he is always losing his.

The cabinets were a great addition since we have so much random stuff in the garage that would go better in here. The sink will be great to rinse off after playing outside.

Now that the functional stuff is done, we get to decorate! The wall behind the sink needs something, as does the blank wall between the bench and the cabinets. I am thinking a mirror will make the room look bigger, but I have to play with different ideas.

Next up, the planning center! Yep, David had a deadline for that too, and it’s complete as well!

Patio and Retaining Wall Reveal

I finally have a completed project to share with you all! We all know how long it takes for David to do complete something, so it’s been so nice having a finished patio to enjoy.  It took the guys about 5-6 days between demo day and building it out and we couldn’t be happier with the final result.  The only thing that we aren’t the most happy with is the retaining wall.  That is completely our fault though.  It’s 15 feet and it just looks really small against the giant patio. I think we assumed it would go all the way to the dog run, but we figured that we could always add onto it if it really bothers us, or we can build in the BBQ like we planned between the dog run and the retaining wall.  I know that the dog run looks really ugly and out of place next to this gorgeous patio, but once we paint the exterior of the house, we will paint this as well.Since the patio has been finished, the boys have loved playing on it.  They bring out their trucks and cars, play soccer, basketball and t-ball.  It’s been so fun to see how happy they are outside and finally enjoying their safe space. I can’t wait to get our outdoor table and chairs out here so that we can have dinner outside this late spring/ summer. I also am looking forward to do the landscaping, it’s looking a little bleh out there.