More Grout Progress and Other Fun Updates

The drama, I mean progress, continues…

The guys were working hard on the bathroom until 6:30 Wednesday night, 4:30 Thursday, we had to kick them out at 5 on Friday. And the contractor wanted a completion check the previous Wednesday…HAH

Anyway, they made a ton of progress from Wednesday through Friday. They pretty much finished grouting, they installed the shower head and faucet for the bath.

We were debating between using matte black hardware, shower head, and sink/ bath faucets. I’m so glad we went with chrome instead. I think it would have been a bit black overload. Agree?

As happy as we are with how it looks, we were starting to doubt our color choice for the grout. Black seems to be really tricky and messy to work with. Stay tuned!

Tile and Black Grout

We contacted our contractor immediately after the counters were installed. We were just as anxious as they were to get this project going again.

David got a text Tuesday night that the workers would be there Wednesday to continue the bathroom. Wednesday comes along and nobody shows up. Then, David got a weird phone call from the contractor. He told David he wanted to come over that evening to collect a check. David was confused because all we owed him was a completion check, and the bathroom was absolutely nowhere near being completed. So, David said if enough progress got done he would consider a post dated check. That was that.

1PM rolls around, still no workers. Obviously we want the bathroom done so we could get the boys out of our bathroom, but we aren’t in the hugest rush. It finally gets to be 1:15 and the guys show up. I texted David and he was shocked they showed up that late, not that we care they showed up late, but that the contractor expected the job to be completed and for a completion check with a half days work.

There was still a ton to be done. There was no way the bathroom would be finished that night. No way. The tile wasn’t done, which meant the grout wasn’t done. The ceilings needed to be primed and painted, walls patched, drywall, and painted, fan switched out, hardware installed. That’s just to name a few.

David decided that he didn’t feel comfortable giving the contractor a check and this is when the real drama began. I’m going to save that for it’s own post since it’s a long story.

Until then, here’s some tile and grout progress from that day. We went with white long subway tile and black grout. The guys left our house by 6:30 which is really late for a weeknight, but it’s looking really good!

Counters

Oh man, the counters. This is where all of our drama began with our contractor.

Our contractor recommended a specific company to order our counters from. They come highly recommended where we live, so we just went with his suggestion and ordered the counters from them.

It was a fairly easy process, they came over with samples, we picked one and ordered it. They came to measure a week later and told me it would be 1.5 weeks at most until the counters were ready. A few days after they came over to measure I got a phone call that he needed me to remeasure. Now, I know how to use a measuring tape, but I thought that it was a lot of pressure for me to measure for something pretty expensive. If I got the numbers wrong, it would have been a huge problem. I got the measurements, and they just didn’t seem right to the guys cutting the counters, so they came over to measure again. Sure enough, my numbers were correct and they told me yet again that it would be about a week and a half to be ready.

Let’s fast forward a week, we have the polar vortex. It was way too cold for the counters to be delivered, so we were delayed. And delayed. And delayed. By the time we hit two weeks David finally put some pressure on the company. They were a little weird with communication but after pushing and pushing, we finally got the counters three weeks later.

We understand things happen and delays happen, but three weeks was a bit frustrating. Not to mention, our contractor was pressuring us because he wanted to keep up with our project but couldn’t until the counters arrived. Not sure why he was pressuring us, since we had zero control over the counter company.

Anyway, they were installed in an hour and they look beautiful. David wasn’t the biggest fan, but I think they are perfect with our floors and backsplash.

Basement Floors

Excuse the long delay. We went through a major polar vortex here that put all kinds of delays on house projects. Most specifically the boys’ bathroom but I’ll save that drama for another post. It’s juicy!

The laminate in the basement is not only ugly, but it was sliding around and coming off the ground.  It just had to go. With the newly done bar and built ins, it didn’t really go with our style anyway.  We went with a tile that looks like wood.  We thought that it was most functional for a basement, and would hold our workout equipment well since we wanted to do tile in that area as well.

David did a great job ripping out the old laminate and I think that the kids loved watching it.  The new tile is looking really good.  I am not totally in love with our choice, I think the floor clashes a little bit with the carpet, but the blue paint is a little deceiving and I think that is what is throwing me off.  Once we use a fresh color, it will all come together (hopefully!).