Boys’ Bathroom: Before

We finally are starting the boys’ bathroom! We weren’t going to be doing this room for a year or so, but it got to the point where it was just time to get it done, and fast! We assumed that we would have used the contractors that we used for the rest of the house, but we decided to get a few more bids this time. After receiving 3 bids (not including our original contractor), it turns out that our original contractor was going to charge us double what some of the others came out at. Not only was the price completely out of control, but after giving him so much business, it felt like he was taking advantage.  We went with a different company that was highly recommended and half the price, so far the process has been smooth.  They came to demo the bathroom today, so of course I snapped some before pictures.

Enjoy this beauty of a bathroom!

Have a great weekend!

Mudroom Molding and Trim

David worked on the mudroom a little bit last night after the boys went to sleep.  He put up the crown molding, and some of the trim.  He decided that he wants to raise the horizontal piece a little bit, but other than that it’s looking more and more complete.

I feel like we have a million projects happening right now and I can’t keep them straight, but hopefully we will be able to be 100% with one room soon , maybe?! It will probably be the boys’ bathroom because we hired it out.  Sorry David!

Basement Bar Demo

The holidays are officially over, and so is winter break, but go figure Eli has a fever and will not be going back to school today. Ugh!!!!! Fingers crossed for tomorrow. These past two weeks have really felt like months.

While we were all hanging out in the basement yesterday, David decided to demo our bar. Right now the bar is just too clunky and big. It makes the room look a lot more closed off than it already is. It’s also a dated oaky wood. We decided to cut off the side of the bar, and it’s crazy what a difference eliminating one piece makes.

Once the bar is the size we want it, we are going to shiplap it. We were going to just paint it, but I think that paining over this wood grain might just look like a quick and cheap fix. The shiplap will make it look much better without breaking the bank. Once the shiplap is done, we will pick out counters, do the floor, and then I think that this basement will be ready for paint!

Starting the Mudroom

I am not sure if I mentioned this or not (my brain is a little off right now from the long winter break), but David finally agreed to hire out the mudroom. We have so much going on, and you all know about my little basement breakdown, so we thought that it would be worth it for somebody else to do our mudroom.  Even if it meant spending thousands instead of hundreds, totally worth it.

We got quotes from carpenters and were pretty set on hiring one that we both agreed we liked.  One day while the kids were napping and my sister and I were watching Bravo in the basement, David asked me if he could start the mudroom.  I was super annoyed because I knew that this would happen. He totally wasn’t planning on hiring anybody! Since the boys were napping I stupidly agreed.

He built the start of the mudroom in the garage and had to hire somebody to help him carry it inside.  That thing is heavy, and there were noises coming out of David that I have never heard before.  When he had me come look at it, I was a little surprised to see that he had not built a bench.  Well, he did, but it was really short and kind of hard to sit on.  One thing we agreed on and pointed out in photos, was that we wanted a big bench.  At least bigger than the one he made.  It was apparently an easy fix and David whipped a new one right up.  He definitely got a lot of it done and it looks great, but it’s still not done.  Go figure. We will see how much longer it takes to finish, but my vote is 2 months. Any takers?

Take a look though, because I will admit it looks fab!

Basement Built-ins

Happy New Year!

So far, we are starting 2019 off productive. I mentioned on Monday that the basement built-ins are 95% complete.  We didn’t want to spend too much money down here, so we decided to do an IKEA hack on the Billy Bookcase. They turned out great and our old TV works with it perfectly  David bought a new TV for upstairs, and we moved the old TV up there into the basement. I think that once the entire basement is painted, the shelves are decorated, and the hardware is on, they will feel a lot more complete.  As much as I love them, I can’t get past this ugly blue paint.

I will say that it has been so nice having a place for all of the kids’ games, movies, and books that I used to read in our spare time pre kids.